We began collaborating into Phase 2 of Project Eatgether. The team got together for a very efficient meeting in the morning to figure out tasks on hand (based off our previous User Story below)
Italicized parts were completed last week, and bold parts are tasks which we completed today.
Project Eatgether User Story
We had an extremely productive day, during which most of the development goals were reached.
I was assigned the task of creating "order status". I used the ASM gem as we did before for the e-commerce project. Initially, we thought this was going to be very challenging, given that we have different status before "posts" and "orders", but as I began coding I realized we really only need status for "orders", because posts are all "unmatched" by default so creating a status for it would be redundant.
The height of the day was realizing how quickly I can now build new actions through model, controller, view, and routes. I wrote up the user's conditional order status view within 5 min while Han Han went for a cigarette.
I got stuck on an issue with flash notices not being displayed for a while. Even YY couldn't figure it out. I then noticed that in the admin page, the footer wasn't showing up. So I checked the layout rendered for admin pages, and sure enough it was missing the
<%= render "common/flashes" %> line.
I now realize how critical it is to build the development goals from User Story and outline development details as much as possible to avoid building features that are unimportant and time-consuming.
I also learned more about how to collaborate with people and resolve merge conflicts. These are very helpful skills that will come handy later on.
I need to learn more about the backend structure that Han Han and Zhang Shuo wrote, and we will need to spend a lot of time on HTML/CSS/JS together if we want this project to look good in the end.